Monday, January 10, 2011

2011.1.10 Monday Morning!

Greetings and best wishes from Pilgrim Presbyterian Church in Vinita, OK.

A good friend in the congregation gave me a story called "Grandpa's Hands." It begins with Grandpa, some ninety plus years, staring quietly at his hands. His grand-daughter said: "I don't mean to disturb you, but you are just sitting here staring at your hands and I want to make sure you are ok."

"Have you ever looked at your hands?", Grandpa asked. The grand-daughter slowly looked at her hands and said, "No, I guess I've never really looked at them," trying to make out the point he was making.

"Stop and think for a moment about your hands and how they serve you," Grandpa said. Then he added: "My hands, though wrinkled, shriveled and weak have been tools I have used all my life to reach out and grab and embrace life." The story continues with Grandpa explaining the many, many ways his hands identified him and helped to serve God and others.

We often take for granted what we have until we lose them.

Look at what you have, not what you don't have, and give thanks.

Cheers,

Richard


A Pearl for the Week:


The Serenity Prayer

"O God, give me the serenity to accept

what cannot be changed, courage to change

what should be changed, and wisdom to

distinguish the one from the other."


No comments:

Post a Comment