Monday, November 2, 2009

2009.11.02 Monday Morning!

Greetings and best wishes from Pilgrim Presbyterian Church, Vinita, Oklahoma.

This morning my thoughts go back in time when I was in a Contemporary Literature Class at the University of Wisconsin. We were discussing the life and work of the great Russian author, Tolstoy.

Tolstoy was exalted by his peers and biographers, but for some reason or other I remember more distinctly than anything words of his wife. Though I can't quote her, this is the gist of what she said:

His many good works are prompted by his principles, not by the warmth of his heart. Never has he given me five minutes help carrying water, nor sitting for five minutes alongside the bedside of our sick son.

A lot of us are at our best in society and at our worst at home.

A pearl of value: An act of loving kindness is a humane response to human need, and it should begin at home, with a warm heart.


Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment