Monday, December 13, 2010

2010.12.13 Monday Morning!


Best wishes for a MERRY CHRISTMAS from Pilgrim Presbyterian Church in Vinita, Oklahoma.
 
Christmas is a time for lights.  Beautiful lights are shining in every city and village.  Lights are an important part of Christmas, symbols of the Christmas story:
    The true light that enlightens every person has come
     into the world in the birth of Jesus.  In him was life,
     and the life was light for all people.  His light shines
     in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
                                            (Will you read John 1:1-18, please?)
 
The mood of despair, however, is familiar in our dark patches.  Immense problems face our nation and the world;  war, an economic recession, unemployment, hunger, home foreclosures, terrorism.
 
And, there are personal difficulties:  problems within families and among friends, jobs that no longer give satisfaction, loss of health, unexpected death of a loved one.
 
I understand how people may feel abandoned by God.  Sometimes I ask myself "Is there really a God who cares?"
 
Then the light of Christmas comes with the assurance that in smooth and rough places "God is with us".  None of us is alone.  Confident of that helps disperse times of darkness.  I haven't  answers to the many questions that bother me, but of this I am sure; God is with me and helps me carry on with courage and strength.
 
My thoughts and prayers are with friends for whom 2010 has been a shattering year.
 
Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment